One of the most difficult capabilities to learn is spotting opportunities. This applies to conversations with prospects, in which prospects often don’t explicitly telegraph their needs. It also applies to follow-on projects with current clients, where there’s plenty of opportunity waiting for you to see it, raise it to the client, then pursue the win.
5 Cues for Spotting Opportunities
1. Complaints – Signs of frustration, discontent, or disappointment since these represent a gap/issue in your client’s current performance.
2. Startups – New initiatives for which your client(s) have a budget but little concrete direction or know-how.
3. Big Plans – Money, attention, and effort flowing to ventures and programs.
4. Aspirations – Unfulfilled desires that could lead to projects.
5. Parallels – Any other potential buying locations at the client.
Helpful Resources: Opportunity Spotting Template [Downloadable resource] 5 Hidden Cues a Client Has More Projects for Your Consulting Firm Chapters 14-15 of The Irresistible Consultant’s Guide to Winning Clients
This copy of the Rainmaker’s Playbook is licensed to for use exclusively with .
If you are not , or if you would like to use the BD Rainmaker’s Playbook with another rainmaker, please contact David A. Fields Consulting Group.